Kali Linux 2.0 (Codename ‘Kali Sana’) is to be released on 11th August 2015. Those who are not keeping track, this is the biggest update since BackTrack Linux was superseded by Kali Linux back in 2013. Following is the release history of Kali Linux as shown in Kali Linux Release History page:
- Kali 1.1.0a – 13th March, 2015 – No fanfare release fixing kernel ABI inconsistencies in the installers.
- Kali 1.1.0 – 9th Febuary, 2015 – First dot release in 2 years. New kernel, new tools and updates.
- Kali 1.0.9a – 6th October, 2014 – Security BugFix Release covering shellshock and Debian apt vulnerabilities.
- Kali 1.0.9 – 25th August, 2014 – BugFix Release including installer and a set of tool updates and package fixes.
- Kali 1.0.8 – 22nd July, 2014 – EFI Support for our “full” ISOs and a set of tool updates and package fixes.
- Kali 1.0.7 – 27th May, 2014 – Kernel 3.14, tool updates, package fixes, Kali Live Encrypted USB Persistence.
- Kali 1.0.6 – 9th January, 2014 – Kernel 3.12, cryptsetup nuke option, Amazon AMI, ARM build Scripts.
- Kali 1.0.5 – 5th September, 2013 – Bugfix rollup. LVM Encrypted installs, Software Defined Radio (SDR) tools.
- Kali 1.0.4 – 25th July, 2013 – Bugfix rollup. Penetration testing tool additions and updates.
- Kali 1.0.3 – 26th April, 2013 – Bugfix rollup. New accessibility features. Added live Desktop installer.
- Kali 1.0.2 – 27th March, 2013 – Minor Bugfix Release and update roll-up.
- Kali 1.0.1 – 14th March, 2013 – Minor Bugfix Release.
- Kali 1.0.0 – 13th March, 2013 – Initial release.
Kali Sana (Kali Linux 2.0) added the following features:
- Kali Linux 2.0 (Kali Sana) is now a rolling release, which means more frequent updates.
- The core set tools in Kali will be weekly updated.
- Kali UI will now use full Gnome Desktop instead of gnome-fallback, i.e. more eye-candy for you.
- Restructured menus and tool categories.
- Ruby 2.0 will be supported natively which will make Metasploit will load much much faster.
- Added all new cutting-edge wireless penetration tools and more. Watch out neighbors, it will never be safe anymore.
- Added desktop notifications, so that you don’t miss anything.
- Added screencasting so that you can record desktop and upload to YouTube/Vimeo etc.
Kali 2.0 release schedule announced – 11th of August, 2015. Check our teaser video – http://t.co/lsavEysEn8
— muts (@kalilinux) July 6, 2015
Watch the Kali 2.0 Teaser video – Kali Linux from Offensive Security.
Did you go to Defcon 2015? Here’s some interesting tweets. Those who had the opportunity to attend #defcon scored Kali Sana (Kali Linux 2.0) USB with in an AWESOME USB. Lucky peepz.
and all Kali Linux T-shits were donated to HFC at DEFCON
— muts (@kalilinux) August 6, 2015
But don’t feel too bad cause the good guys at Offensive Security uploaded Kali dojo here: