- Cairo-Dock is a desktop interface that takes the shape of docks, desklets, panel and applets. It is designed to be light, fast and customizable, and is desktop-agnostic. It has a powerful DBus interface, to be controlled from a terminal or another application. Features can be added by plug-ins or applets, and applets can be written in C or in any language. Most actions can be done from keyboard. It is compatible with Compiz-Fusion, Beryl, Compiz and Xcompmgr, but it can also run without a composite manager (using fake transparency). Cairo-Dock can run under GNOME, KDE and XFCE.
Install Cairo-Dock in Kali Linux
To install cairo-dock you need to do the followings:
- Install Cairo Dock from Kali Repo
- Install Cairo-dock from Cairo-docks repo
- Add Cairo-Dock repo in Kali Linux sources.list file
- Add GPG Keys
- Update package list via apt-get
- Install Cairo-Dock and Plugins
- Run Cairo-Dock
Install Cairo-Dock from Kali Linux Repo
If you’ve used the official Kali Linux repository, then you can install Cairo-Dock and all it’s requirements directly from Kali Linux repository.
Use the following command to install Cairo-Dock in Kali Linux from Official Kali Linux repository:
aptitude -r install cairo-dock cairo-dock-plug-ins
This will install all cairo-dock, it’s plugins and any recommended packages. Move to Running Cairo-Dock section from there.
Install Cairo-dock from Cairo-docks repo
In case you don’t want to install Cairo-dock from Kali Linux’s official repository, you can always add the repository for Cairo-dock and install from there.
Add Cairo-Dock repo in Kali Linux
First you need to edit /etc/apt/sources.list file
add the following line
deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/glxdock/repository/debian stable cairo-dock
Save and exit the file
Install GPG key
wget -q http://download.tuxfamily.org/glxdock/repository/cairo-dock.gpg -O- | apt-key add -
Update package list
Update source list
Install Cairo-Dock and Plugins
Run the following command to install Cairo-Dock and plugins
apt-get install cairo-dock cairo-dock-plug-ins
Now you can launch Cairo-dock from
Applications —> System tools —> cairo-Dock
Cairo-Dock is a nice tool to have and it adds some color to your Kali Linux’s boring desktop. I like monitoring and weather applets. They also got many theme’s that you can play with.
In fact since writing this post, I’ve done some more editing and ended up having a great Desktop. I’ve used black-element theme, conky-color and cairo-dock. Wallpaper was downloaded from Wallpaperswide. What a great community! Here’s a new screenshot of this desktop.
Thanks for reading. Enjoy and share.